"Best" Passages for Teaching Syntax

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
PLStepp

"Best" Passages for Teaching Syntax

Post by PLStepp »

Hello, B-Greek. I have a question and I'm not sure I can articulate it: bear with me.

I'm teaching second year Greek again, after several years out of the rotation. One of the things I want to do as I go through the syntactical features of various parts of speech is to walk my students through passages that feature the part of speech in question (genitives, infinitives, etc.) in unique or interesting or challenging ways.

So my question: have any listers in their years of studying the Greek NT found that "Passage X is particularly good for discussing the use of the genitive," or "Passage Y has a bunch of infinitives, used in a variety of interesting ways"?

So:

1. Is there a single short passage in the Greek NT that uses genitive nouns in a variety of interesting ways?
2. Is there a single short passage in the Greek NT that uses dative nouns in a variety of interesting ways?
3. Is there a single short passage in the Greek NT that uses accusative nouns in a variety of interesting ways?
4. Is there a single short passage in the Greek NT that uses pronouns in a variety of interesting ways, etc., etc.?

My approach previously has been to look for examples by going through the treatments of the parts by Wallace, BDF, Robertson, Moule's IDIOM BOOK, etc. But if someone on the list has already found a great passage for studying this or that part of speech, why should I reconstruct the wheel? Crowdsource it!

Anyway: thanks for wandering through my attempt to articulate the question!

Grace and peace,

PLStepp
VP for Academic Affairs
Dallas Christian College
Stephen Carlson

Re: "Best" Passages for Teaching Syntax

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I haven't amassed a lot of example passages yet, so I'm interested to see what people have.

For liquid futures, I like to compare and contrast Rom 2:16 ἐν ἡμέρᾳ ὅτε κρίνει ὁ θεὸς τὰ κρυπτά ... with v.27 καὶ κρινεῖ and point out how the earliest manuscripts don't have accents and the need to look at context distinguish them.

For the surprising forms of the number one, I like to show them Eph 4:5 εἷς κύριος, μία πίστις, ἓν βάπτισμα.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
joshhuntnm

Re: "Best" Passages for Teaching Syntax

Post by joshhuntnm »

My memory is that 1 Thessalonians was a good place to start. . . labor of love, work of faith, etc.
Josh Hunt
www.joshhunt.com

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”