Funk BIGHG

Tell us about interesting projects involving biblical Greek. Collaborative projects involving biblical Greek may use this forum for their communication - please contact jonathan.robie@ibiblio.org if you want to use this forum for your project.
Peter Pankonin

Funk BIGHG

Post by Peter Pankonin »

Greetings all. Is someone still actively working on the Funk Grammar on http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/project/f ... pre-alpha/? I am building an epub version (for my iPhone/Kindle) from the HTML and have found some corrections for the pre-alpha pages...only up to the "Part Two Introduction" so far. The corrections are mostly missing footnote numbers in the text and OCR errors.
--
Πέτρος Πανκώνιν
"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
Jonathan Robie

Re: Funk BIGHG

Post by Jonathan Robie »

The publisher is working on correcting this text, but it won't be quick.

Also: this is a copyrighted work. We have permission to post it on our site, but anyone who wants to use it for anything else must get permission from the publisher first. Please don't do anything that violates their copyright.

Anything that falls under fair use is fine, of course.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Incidentally, I would absolutely love to put together a team of people interested in working on making useful texts available, one or two at a time. Louis is leading the work on the Robertson grammar, I'm helping a little.

I'd like to see us identify high-quality texts that are old enough to be freely distributed, and convert them to formats that can be distributed, starting with OCR. So if this is the kind of thing you or anyone else wants to get involved in, speak up!

I have some ideas on bug tracking, source code control, formats, etc. for doing this more efficiently, more or less like an Apache open source project. I'd love to set up an environment for doing this on B-Greek, if we can find enough people who are interested in helping to do the work.

So if this interests you ... pipe up! And if it interests anyone else, I'd like to know!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Peter Pankonin

Post by Peter Pankonin »

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the info...I will contact the publisher to see if I can take this further. At present, this was intended mainly for my own use, but if the publisher is willing, I would certainly make the epub version available.

I would definitely be interested in helping make useful texts available. As I've posted before, my biggest frustration has been finding epub texts like Souter where the Greek is garbled due to poor OCR.
--
Πέτρος Πανκώνιν
"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

While we wait for an updated Funk BIGHG, I wonder if we could improve the current text on the B-Greek site a little:

(1).....I would like to see a set of links at the top of each page.including the section range (or start range). That way people do not have to go the the complicated TOC to find the correct section. When we were editing the book on the editing site, there was a link section at the top of each page.
(2).....I would like to get the style sheet references into each page so that the section numbers show the references in bold, as the CSS sheet intends. Apparently the formatting CSS link got dropped in the upgrade and they do not appear as bold.
(3).....I would like to get hyperlinks (anchors) created for each section. Many of the sections currently have their code ID set to name="s016.4". That name needs to be changed to the following correct section id - it should be possible to do this programatically.
(4)....Correct some errors. e.g. The section number 1720.3 is missing.

Perhaps others have ideas on this. I would like to include Funk references in my curriculum for next year. What I really need is section anchors and a navigational lookup where people could type in the section number and get sent to the correct section. I don't think this is too much work to throw into this project if we have to wait 1-2 years for the files. As we speak I'm making a table of the section numbers, identifying charts and which word they decline, etc. (I'm not tracking pages, just section numbers, along with titles and a short summary field where appropriate). Funk's number system is a little odd (e.g. 1710. occurs after 171. but before 171.2 - he should have titled it 171.0 which of course kind of conflicts with 171.). Funk in his preface states that he organized his numbering system purposely to let other later users add sections to his grammar. This is something the B-Greek Project should consider doing. I think I read somewhere that his widow wanted the B-Greek site to go forward with his grammar.

τί φρονεῖτε;
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

The last thing in the world that I'd want to do is to downplay the value of BIGHG, but I do think that it's worth calling attention to Micheal Palmer's online grammar (http://www.greek-language.com/Hellenistic-Greek.html). It's still not complete, but it has gotten well beyond first-semester lessons and it handles some issues (e.g. how middle and passive voices work) in a manner more up-to-date.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Louis L Sorenson wrote:(1).....I would like to see a set of links at the top of each page.including the section range (or start range). That way people do not have to go the the complicated TOC to find the correct section. When we were editing the book on the editing site, there was a link section at the top of each page.
(2).....I would like to get the style sheet references into each page so that the section numbers show the references in bold, as the CSS sheet intends. Apparently the formatting CSS link got dropped in the upgrade and they do not appear as bold.
(3).....I would like to get hyperlinks (anchors) created for each section. Many of the sections currently have their code ID set to name="s016.4". That name needs to be changed to the following correct section id - it should be possible to do this programatically.
(4)....Correct some errors. e.g. The section number 1720.3 is missing.
I fixed (2), adding the missing stylesheets.

I think (1) and (3) should be fairly easy. I'll get to them eventually ...

The hard part is (4).

I've now set up a source code repository that makes it a lot easier to work together on this kind of thing without stomping on each other's changes, and to see who changed what when.

If Peter and you both want to correct errors, I can contact you off-list to and tell you how to use the source code repository. If there are other volunteers, we might want to set up a meeting.

I'd suggest that we find a place for our detailed communication - perhaps in a private forum here. Ideally, I'd do this on github or some similar platform, but since the result is a copyrighted work, we can't use most of those platforms unless we pay money to do so.

For now, I suggest we approach changes like this:

1. Make changes on your local system, test, generate a patch to show what you changed
2. We'll agree on a way to review patches and approve them
3. I'll apply patches to the upstream repository and make them live on the site.

What do you think?
RDecker

Post by RDecker »

Might I suggest that you link Funk's grammar on the b-greek main forum page? There are probably a lot of people who don't know that it is available.
Rodney J. Decker
Prof/NT
Baptist Bible Seminary
Clarks Summit, PA
(See profile for my NTResources blog address.)
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I notice the volume 3 (the appendices) is only partially completed. There are no images or pdf pages past page 22 (i.e. pages 23-ca 184) are missing. Is this correct?
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Louis L Sorenson wrote:I notice the volume 3 (the appendices) is only partially completed. There are no images or pdf pages past page 22 (i.e. pages 23-ca 184) are missing. Is this correct?
I was looking for the images for the appendices today too, and did not find them. Do you know who might have them? I wasn't involved in the original scans, and have never had a paper copy.

I'd really like to have those appendices corrected ....

Return to “Projects”