'the forms you really need to know'

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
LIsaksson

'the forms you really need to know'

Post by LIsaksson »

While looking around at articles on Greek pedagogy, I came across references to an article that one Anne Mahoney wrote in the 2004 Classical Outlook. She teaches at Tufts. This article title reminded me of the article that was included by Pharr in his Homeric Greek book, before you get to the grammar study. She did a search of the database of classical Greek on the Perseus Project at Tufts, and came up with the most frequently used forms in Greek. It also reminded me of statistical study that one Robert Morgenthaler did on the NT greek vocabulary. I do not have his book nearby either, or have I ever seen it, and for that matter I do not have any Greek software up and running on a Mac, I need a new Mac.

I have tried to find this article to read it, but I have been unsuccessful.

Does anyone have an idea where one may find said article? I don't live any where near a library that would have a collection of the Classical Outlook.
Leonard Isaksson
Jason Hare

Re: 'the forms you really need to know'

Post by Jason Hare »

Can you provide the volume number, the name of the article, etc.?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
LIsaksson

Post by LIsaksson »

Classical Outlook 81 pages 101-105. This dates from 2004.
Leonard Isaksson
LIsaksson

Post by LIsaksson »

I believe the title of the article is the one I had in quotes on the subject line, but since I have only seen it referenced, and have not seen the article or the journal, I cannot say for sure.
Leonard Isaksson
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

LIsaksson wrote:I believe the title of the article is the one I had in quotes on the subject line, but since I have only seen it referenced, and have not seen the article or the journal, I cannot say for sure.
I didn't notice that it was an article title in the subject line, since you didn't even capitalize it. Maybe if your title had been something like: Article: "The Forms You Really Need to Know" - then it would be obvious that this was the title of the work.

I'll try to find it and let you know what I find. If someone else finds it before me that would be great, too.

Regards,
Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

The Classical Outlook is published by the American Classical League http://www.aclclassics.org/pages/classical-outlook which states
The Classical Outlook is the leading publication for classroom teachers of Latin, Greek, and Classical Humanities in the schools (elementary, middle, secondary), colleges, and universities. It is the official journal of The American Classical League, The Classical Outlook is the leading publication for classroom teachers of Latin, Greek, and Classical Humanities in the schools (elementary, middle, secondary), colleges, and universities. It is the official journal of The American Classical League,

The Classical Outlook
is not part of JSTOR's materials, and looking at their website, I don't see an archive section or any links to their publication -- does anybody know of where to get or view their publication online?
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

I can probably access it on Monday at my university library.
ἡμεῖς οὐχ Ἕλληνες• ἀνέλληνες δὲ φιλοῦμεν
τὴν οὐ καρφομένην Ἑλλάδος ἀνθοσύνην. – Headlam
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

Leonard wrote:
While looking around at articles on Greek pedagogy, I came across references to an article that one Anne Mahoney wrote in the 2004 Classical Outlook. She teaches at Tufts. .... Does anyone have an idea where one may find said article? I don't live any where near a library that would have a collection of the Classical Outlook.
Have you tried WorldCat? http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=world ... Outlook%22. Plug in your location and select search, and it will find the periodical in the library nearest you.
James Spinti

Post by James Spinti »

Anne Mahoney is an active member of the Classics-L list. I'm fairly sure she would be wiling to supply you with a copy if you contacted her. I don't think I'm able to post the link here, but I'll try. If it doesn't take, you can do a Google search for Classics-L listserv and choose the one that references U of Kentucky. Here's the attempted link:
http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1 ... SV.UKY.EDU

James
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs
LIsaksson

Post by LIsaksson »

Let me say thank you to the folks who have responded. I did go to the worldcat, however, it is quite a jaunt to get to any of the locations. However, that was a good link and I may be able to use that sometime. I used to travel the 200+ ,miles to the Twin Cities(St. Paul and Minneapolis) and use the libraries down there, but then my time got more taken up. Now perhaps on a weekend I may be able to go down there again.

I went to the classics L site, that link worked. I am going to email Anne Mahoney and see what happens.

Thank you.

Leonard
Leonard Isaksson

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”