Type greek breathing marks on iPhone

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Jacob Rhoden

Type greek breathing marks on iPhone

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Is anyone aware of how to type (for example) "ιερον" as "ἱερον" when using an iPhone to type?

Currently Im using "Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Greek" to type, and I can't see a way to do it.
Thomas Dolhanty

Re: Type greek breathing marks on iPhone

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Jacob Rhoden wrote:Is anyone aware of how to type (for example) "ιερον" as "ἱερον" when using an iPhone to type?

Currently Im using "Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Greek" to type, and I can't see a way to do it.
Hold down the button for the appropriate letter, and a string of options will appear.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Thomas Dolhanty wrote: Hold down the button for the appropriate letter, and a string of options will appear.
I did try that, but its not clear to me how the option presented map to my greek textbook, i.e:

holding down on "o" doesn't reveal a ὀ and ὁ
holding down on "ω" doesn't produce an option for ῳ
Thomas Dolhanty

Jacob Rhoden wrote:
Thomas Dolhanty wrote: Hold down the button for the appropriate letter, and a string of options will appear.
I did try that, but its not clear to me how the option presented map to my greek textbook, i.e:

holding down on "o" doesn't reveal a ὀ and ὁ
holding down on "ω" doesn't produce an option for ῳ
You're right. I don't really use it, and had forgotten that the basic Greek keyboard that comes with iPhone is for modern Greek only, which has only a single stress accent.
γράφω μαθεῖν
David Fish

Post by David Fish »

I don't use my iPhone much for typing Greek, but was overjoyed when I saw a product that I had used in the Windows environment, to type Polytonic Unicode Greek, become available on the iPhone.

Here is a link to their product page: http://keyman.com/iphone-and-ipad/.

In the Windows environment, I used to use their Tavultesoft Greekman keyboard. More recently, I have used Logos Bible Software's keyboard (free). A couple years ago I bought a MacBook Pro, and so I use a the Greek Polytonic keyboard built into OS X.

Though I don't use it frequently, it IS possible to type Polytonic Unicode Greek on an iPhone or iPad using the Keyman app.
David Fish
Ozark Christian College
Joplin, MO
dfish@occ.edu
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Everything said here matches what I read on this Harvard page. I'm an Android guy ...
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Thomas Dolhanty

Jonathan Robie wrote:Everything said here matches what I read on this Harvard page. I'm an Android guy ...

Me too for the last few months ... but first I'm determined to wring the last screen paint out of my iPhone 4S!
γράφω μαθεῖν
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

Keyman needs iOS 8.0 My iphone 4S software is up to date and running iOS 7.1.2 "Your software is up to date." So I guess to use Keyman I'll have to update my phone. Is this true? Or is an earlier version of Keyman available and work on iPhone 4S?
Thomas Dolhanty

Louis L Sorenson wrote: Keyman needs iOS 8.0 My iphone 4S software is up to date and running iOS 7.1.2 "Your software is up to date." So I guess to use Keyman I'll have to update my phone. Is this true? Or is an earlier version of Keyman available and work on iPhone 4S?
If you have an iPhone 4S, then you can upgrade your software to IOS 8. I am running 8.1.2 on my 4S. You will lose of bit of performance moving up to 8 - but I find it is not bad since they made some adjustments in the earlier release to accommodate the 4S. I have Keyman on my phone. I can't imagine typing much Greek on that keyboard though! It is quite good on an iPad, but pretty small on an iPhone. I think the free Keyman does allow you the range of Koine diacritics using something like the ancient Greek Galaxie keyboard.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

There is also this Greek Polytonic app that works on iPhone (also on iPad, which is where I use it):

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/write-g ... 87159?mt=8

Devenios
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'

Return to “Beginners Forum”