Modern Greek Translations of the Bible/New Testament

Biblical Greek morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Post Reply
Benjamin Kantor
Posts: 44
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 3:18 am

Modern Greek Translations of the Bible/New Testament

Post by Benjamin Kantor » January 10th, 2019, 12:07 pm

I am curious if anyone here has much experience with Modern Greek translations of the Bible/New Testament.

Which ones are used mainstream in Greece among different churches (that aren't traditionally reading the original)?
0 x


For Koine Greek recordings and videos:

https://www.KoineGreek.com

Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3558
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Modern Greek Translations of the Bible/New Testament

Post by Jonathan Robie » January 10th, 2019, 4:54 pm

beniamin wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 12:07 pm
I am curious if anyone here has much experience with Modern Greek translations of the Bible/New Testament.

Which ones are used mainstream in Greece among different churches (that aren't traditionally reading the original)?
I don't really know the answer. The most widely used original text is the 1904 Ecumenical Patriarchal Edition, sometimes called Antoniades Patriarchal Edition, that's a Byzantine text based largely on ecclesiastical texts, it is not in the Textus Receptus family (see this introduction. It relies quite a bit on lectionaries, as described in this article. The first link in this paragraph lets you listen and read at the same time, and there are some nice printed editions that can be had at a reasonable price.

The modern Greek text used in audio Bibles I see is the Spyros Filos translation, which is available to read at that link, but without audio. You can get the audio at Faith Comes By Hearing.

Wikipedia has an article on Bible Translations into Greek.
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Shirley Rollinson
Posts: 319
Joined: June 4th, 2011, 6:19 pm
Location: New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Modern Greek Translations of the Bible/New Testament

Post by Shirley Rollinson » January 11th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Jonathan Robie wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 4:54 pm
beniamin wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 12:07 pm
I am curious if anyone here has much experience with Modern Greek translations of the Bible/New Testament.

Which ones are used mainstream in Greece among different churches (that aren't traditionally reading the original)?
I don't really know the answer. The most widely used original text is the 1904 Ecumenical Patriarchal Edition, sometimes called Antoniades Patriarchal Edition, that's a Byzantine text based largely on ecclesiastical texts, it is not in the Textus Receptus family (see this introduction. It relies quite a bit on lectionaries, as described in this article. The first link in this paragraph lets you listen and read at the same time, and there are some nice printed editions that can be had at a reasonable price.

The modern Greek text used in audio Bibles I see is the Spyros Filos translation, which is available to read at that link, but without audio. You can get the audio at Faith Comes By Hearing.

Wikipedia has an article on Bible Translations into Greek.
I tried the link for the EPE given above, and got "No text available for the selected Bible." I trolled to other sections of the GNT for the EPEdition, and also got "No text available for the selected Bible."
Shirley Rollinson
0 x

mjmselim
Posts: 5
Joined: June 10th, 2017, 10:23 am

Re: Modern Greek Translations of the Bible/New Testament

Post by mjmselim » January 12th, 2019, 10:18 am

I use:
1st: The Holy Scriptures Translated from the Divine Original: (Iera Grammata Metaphrasthenta ek tön Theiön Archetupön) published & printed in Great Britain, London, (1950), without Foreword, Intro, or Preface; & this notice: "Dapanë tës Brettanikës Biblikës Hetaireias pros diadosin tou Theiou Logou en te të Megalë Brettania kai të Allodapë."
2nd: Ë Agia Graphë: ë Palaia Diathëkë kai ë Kainë Diathëkë: Adelphotës Theologön ë 'Zöë'; 2nd ed. (Ekdosis Hebdomë) (1973), printed in Greece, Athens. with a Prologues to the Edition & to the OT & NT. dated in 1928, from the Orthodox Synod. The traditional text edited by newer works of Tichendorf & Ralphs.

A comparison to the former with the later reveals the former is Byzantine & the later modern; Gen. 1:2: "Ë de gë ëto amorphos kai erëmos, kai skotos epi tou prosöpou tës abussou. Kai Pneuma Theou ephereto epi tës epiphaneias tö hudatön." (1950); with this (1973): ë de gë en aoratos kai akataskeuastos, kai skotos epanö tës abussou, kai pneuma Theou epephereto epanö tou hudatos." I have not gotten clear as to the best text in talks with a few Orthodox leaders, & I have not needed to trouble myself any further.
0 x
Michael J. Miles

Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3558
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Modern Greek Translations of the Bible/New Testament

Post by Jonathan Robie » January 12th, 2019, 11:11 am

Shirley Rollinson wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 4:32 pm
I tried the link for the EPE given above, and got "No text available for the selected Bible." I trolled to other sections of the GNT for the EPEdition, and also got "No text available for the selected Bible."
Shirley Rollinson
I think I fixed the link. Does it work for you now?
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Shirley Rollinson
Posts: 319
Joined: June 4th, 2011, 6:19 pm
Location: New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Modern Greek Translations of the Bible/New Testament

Post by Shirley Rollinson » January 13th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Jonathan Robie wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 11:11 am
Shirley Rollinson wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 4:32 pm
I tried the link for the EPE given above, and got "No text available for the selected Bible." I trolled to other sections of the GNT for the EPEdition, and also got "No text available for the selected Bible."
Shirley Rollinson
I think I fixed the link. Does it work for you now?
Thank you - nice clear pronunciation :-)
0 x

Post Reply