Re: Brackets in Greek Text

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 1995 - 11:50:05 EDT

>Carlton Winbery recently reacted to Dale Wheeler
>
>I must admit that I did (do) not have a copy of the UBS4 at home where I can
>get to it. I was going on memory of the UBS3 which stated simply that the
>bracketed part of the text is regarded as disputed. Certainly anyone who has
>used UBS texts from the beginning is aware of the problem of the use of
>brackets and double brackets. If the above statement of the meaning of
>single brackets is correct, they have not clarified the use much. I still
>think that the present subjunctive in John 20:20 is more likely the original.
> If the aorist is original, the combination of the aorist and the present
>would surely indicate "coming to faith" (ingressive) and possessing life. If
>the present indicates "state" then combined with the aorist (or present)
>would almost function as perfected action. I would think that either way the
>result is the same. Coming to faith issues into possessing life.

It may be that I can clear up the brackets issue.

I think that the 27th ed of the Aland NTG is more clear on the brackets
than appears from this string. p. 7* has the explanation: "Eckige Klammern
im Text ([ ]) zeigen an, dass die eingeklammerte Abschnitt textkritisch
nach dem heutigen Erkenntnissstand nicht gesichert werden kann." The
English translation on p.49* says "Square brackets in the text ([
])indicate that textual critics today are not completely convinced of the
authenticity of the enclosed words."

In short, brackets indicate that the editors could not decide between the
aorist and the present in John 20:31 on the basis of the textual witnesses
available to them.

The only source of confusion I can possibly see is that someone might read
the definition of brackets on p. 54*, which defines the significance of
brackets in the critical apparatus.

Which brings me to Johin 20:31. I think Carl Conrad was correct in
interpreting the aorist subjenctive, _pisteusete_, if it is an aorist, as
an inceptive aorist, i.e. " come to faith" (cf the aorist in 1 Cor 15:11).
The present participle _pisteuontes_ that follows is as vague in its
relation to the verb _echete_ as a participle is in English. It could be
instrumental, causal, or even [possibly] temporal. The decision as to which
adopts is determined by one's understanding of the sense, not by
grammatical analysis. It's no acccident that students soon learn that the
most difficult words in Greek to translate are (1) such adverbial
participles and (2) Greek particles and conjunctions. The last are the
terms that beginning students usually forget to translate at all.

Sorry this got as long as it did. Peace,

Edgar Krentz <emkrentz@mcs.com>
New Testament, Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
Voice: 312-753-0752; FAX: 312-753-0782