Re: RE- Accents

From: Stephen Carlson (
Date: Wed Sep 20 1995 - 14:04:29 EDT

Carl W. Conrad wrote:
> But here's a challenge to accentual pronunciation: how do you pronounce a
> word with a circumflex on the penult and an acute on the ultima and
> followed by a string of enclitics, such as, for example:

No problem! I'm one of those people with the atrocious habit of
accenting my spoken Greek according to rules of Classical Latin. A
similar psychological process probably accounts for my pronouncing
Estonian with an Italian accent.

Stephen Carlson

Stephen Carlson     :  Poetry speaks of aspirations,  : ICL, Inc.  :  and songs chant the words.     : 11490 Commerce Park Dr.
(703) 648-3330      :                 Shujing 2:35    : Reston, VA  22091   USA