re: Re: Classical Greek, etc. (long)

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov)
Date: Mon Oct 09 1995 - 07:47:04 EDT

Thank you very much! I am VERY GRATEFUL that you were willing to take the
time to compose such a lengthy post. I hope the other readers also benefited
from your response. I am going to share it with both my 2nd year Greek
teacher and the half dozen students whom I'm teaching 1st year Greek. It
answers every question I asked, and more.

In my first year of college, my Western Civilization teacher was a man named
Achilles Avraamides (Greek, no doubt!). He would come to class and teach non-
stop, using no notes, neither repeating himself nor expounding from the
textbook--all his information was supplemental/additional. It made such an
impression on me that 25 years later his is the first (and usually only) name
that comes to mind if someone asks me if I remember any of my college
teachers. Obviously he LOVED history, and it showed. Obviously you love
Greek, and it shows--and inspires me. THANKS!

Having worked (as I still do) for the government for 21 years, it was good to
passionate about their profession. Not that academia doesn't have its
"bureaucrats"--I ran into many of those in school 'way back then, and my
talks with students today indicate that there are still those for whom
teaching is just a "job." But it's EXCITING to learn from people who LIVE,
LOVE and BREATHE their specialty. Today in Greek class our exposition of
Colossians 1:14-20 nearly turned into a worship experience, and our teacher
said that for him his study and teaching of the New Testament is precisely
that--and it shows!

Have a good weekend.