Re: Aorist as unmarked aspect

From: Bruce Terry (terry@bible.acu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 05 1995 - 15:39:52 EDT

On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, Carlton Winbery wrote:

>Bruce Terry wrote;
>> The aorist tense is unmarked as to aspect.

>I agree, if by "unmarked" you mean unlimited or undefined.

Isn't that the meaning of AORISTOS? If I understand Prague School linguistic
termonology correctly, to say that the aorist tense is unmarked as to aspect
means that it is not limited to or defined as continuous or completed action.
More than that, while it may encode either of those aspects, it also is used
to encode the other major aspect, punctiliar. It just cannot be limited to or
defined as punctiliar aspect.

Bruce Terry E-MAIL: terry@bible.acu.edu
Box 8426, ACU Station Phone: 915/674-3759
Abilene, Texas 79699 Fax: 915/674-3769