1 Tim. 2:15

From: jevaughan@sauaca.saumag.edu
Date: Mon Oct 23 1995 - 14:53:04 EDT

   First I'd like share the same sentiment that I've only been subscribed for
about a week, and I greatly enjoy reading the discussions that have been going
on. I've learned quite a bit and you have opened my eyes to different views of
certain verses.

Now:
  I think two keys to understanding a scripture is to understand (1) what the
main idea of the context it's taken from is and (2) how it is related to other
passages dealing with that subject.
  Having said that, I'd like to ask what is the context in which this scripture
is taken? In this chapter (2), Paul is instructing us that women are to be in
subjection to men (vss. 11-12) and why they are to be (vss.13-14). Verse 15 is
just a continuation of the thoughts in vss. 13 and 14. Adam and Eve were both
punished for violating God's commandment. Eve (and all of womanhood) was (are)
punished in two ways (Gen 3:16): 1. She (they) would have great sorrow in
childbirth and 2. Her (their) husband would have rule over her (them). Eve,
being the first woman, represents all womanhood. In this scripture, Paul is
obviously equating Eve and women in general. He says (if you take out the
childbearing part as David John Marotta suggested) SHE shall be saved
(SWQHSETAI), if THEY continue (MEINWSIN) in the faith. If he is only referring
to Eve (whom he addressed in the previous 2 verses), then Eve is saved by
someone else's obedience, which most of us would deny. When he says she is
saved by childbirth, he means that without that punishment upon women (in
general, because not all women have children) along with the punishment of
subjection, women (in general) would be in the same state Eve was before she
was punished. But that punishment will not save them alone...they must
"continue on the faith..." So what I'm trying to say is Eve=womanhood;
therefore she=they.

                                        Eric Vaughan