Re: Periphrastic Aorist

From: Carlton L. Winbery (winberyc@linknet.net)
Date: Sat Oct 28 1995 - 12:39:22 EDT

Jim McGuire wrote:

>I came across Acts 6:2 OUK ARESTON ESTIN hHMAS KATALEIYANTAS ...
>
>It sure seems like a Periphrastic Aorist to me. Is there any reason not to
>accept it as a periphrastic Aorist? Certainly KATALEIYANTAS directly
>complements ESTIN !
>
>A.T. Robertson says there is only one periphrastic aorist in the N.T.
>(Robertson's big grammar, p. 375. It is interesting that Robertson footnotes
>Blass for the facts on this. But, Blass/DeBrunner seems to include John
>18:30 EI MH HN hOUTOS KAKON POIHSAS (p. 180, Sect. 355).

Carl Conrad is right that KATALEIYANTAS is adverbial. The periphrastic
aorist consist of the imperfect of EIMI with the aorist participle.
Robertson is right that the only one is a variant reading in John 18:38.
There is possibly a periphrastic middle in 2 Cor. 5:19 but it may be that
HN goes with KATALASSWN. Periphrastic constructions usually emphasize the
continuation of action, and so the rarity of the aorist periphrastic is not
surprizing since the aorist is normally unmarked for continuing action.
Carlton Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College,
Pineville, La