grammar

From: James Love (lovej@freenet.scri.fsu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 25 1996 - 07:04:38 EST

I have read many of the discussions here and have enjoyed them,
illuminating; however, I have an observation to pass on. When I was
in my Greek reading class, we came upon a passage. The class was
divided into three groups one group was sure that it was one type of
clause, another group that it was another type; a third just said, "I
dunno!" The first two groups were wrong, it was a hybrid. Our
professor, John Thibault, said, "It just goes to show you that real
Greek is not as neat as the grammar books."

Speaking of word origins (I like logical lapses) I have a question
about "orthotomeo" does it have any origin in wood working? I
remember hearing that the older craftsmen thought that saws were for
poor cutters and if you knew what you were doing you could cut right
with an axe. (18th and 19th century) It got me wondering.

Jim Love