Re: Something from Nothing

From: Nathan MacDonald (
Date: Sun Feb 11 1996 - 16:03:21 EST

Dear Will

The NRSV translates Gen 1:1 "In the beginning when God created the
heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void...." with footnotes for
"when God began to create..." or "In the beginning God created..."
There is discussion amongst Old Testament scholars about whether v.2 is a
subordinate clause of v.1 (See e.g. Wenham, Genesis 1-15, Word)

Moving a bit closer to our New Testament home an interesting verse with
regards to Creation Ex Nihilo might be 2 Macc 7:28 "I beg you, my child,
to look at the heaven and the earth and see everything that is in them, and
recognise that God did not make them out of things that existed." (NRSV)

Nathan MacDonald
Emmanuel College

BA Theology