Re: hOMOIWSW

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Thu Feb 22 1996 - 03:57:26 EST

I intended to send this to the whole list but forgot to put the address in.

Dale M. Wheeler wrote;
>Here's a little problem I ran into as I was updating the GRAMCORD database;
>I'd like to see what you "morpheme-ologists" think about this one.
>
>The form hOMOIWSW occurs 4x in the NT (Matt 11:16; Luke 7:31; 13:18, 20) in
>roughly similar phrases about drawing a comparison to/about the Kingdom.
>There is a disagreement between the tools as to whether this should be
>parsed as a 1st Sing FUTURE INDICATIVE or as an AORIST SUBJUNCTIVE (in
>either case a "deliberative" use, I take it). I was inclined to read it as
>a Future Indicative, but then I noticed the similar passage in Mark 4:30,
>which uses the 1st Plural in a similar statement...and unless I'm missing
>something here (to close to the problem and can't see the forest for the
>trees...you know the feeling...), Mark 4:30 is clearly Aorist Subjunctive.
>Sooooooooooooooooo....I'm now wondering if the 1st singulars ought to be
>parsed as Aorist Subjunctive as well??
>
>What do you'all think....

In Brooks and Winbery we describe the Deliberative Future, "The
deliberative future is used in questions, real or rhetorical. It is used
to consult the judgment of another person. It asks about the possibility,
desirability, or necessity of a proposed action. It asks what ought to be
done or what can be done. Contrast a question which asks for mere facts."
(see Rom. 3:5-6; Mt.18:21; Lk 22:49)

The Deliberative subjunctive is described, "The deliberative subjunctive is
used in interrogative sentences which deal with what is necessary,
desirable, or possible. It is not factual information which is desired.
(For this purpose the indicative would be used.) The need is for a
decision about the proper course of action, concerning which the speaker or
writer is uncertain. Sometimes the question is merely rhetorical;
sometimes an answer is expected." (see Mk. 12:14; Lk.3:10; Mt.6:31)

I tend to treat those in the 1st sing. as future, but they could be either
fut. or aorist.

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La