re: selling greek

From: James H. Vellenga (
Date: Mon Mar 18 1996 - 08:22:38 EST

> One of the rabbis said:
> "Reading scripture in translation is like kissing your bride through a veil."
> I have filed the serial numbers off that and made it slightly less sexist,
> but I think it expresses the concept quite pithily.
And one might rejoin,

  "Knowing Christ only through the scriptures is like kissing your
   bride through a veil."

It happens that the only significant corpus of material evidence we
have concerning Christ is the Scriptures, and I find myself holding
them in high honor, and as a standard against which all other witnesses
must be compared. And I really do delight in getting to know the
nuances by understanding the Greek better and better. But I also
hold in high honor those who know Christ with a deep personal relationship
and often profound spiritual wisdom, but who, while they know and
love the Scriptures well, know little more Greek
than LOGOS and AGAPH. And if I had to choose, I'd rather be
among those who know Christ well and the Scriptures through a veil
than among those who know the Scriptures intimately but Christ
only through a veil.

James H. Vellenga |
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-480-0881
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-480-0882
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |