Re: parables

From: James H. Vellenga (
Date: Thu Apr 18 1996 - 10:50:20 EDT

I find myself wondering whether, if we used the phrase "sermon
illustrations" instead of "parables," we would be so concerned
about whether a particular "illustration" had one "point" or a
related series of "points". As I listen to our pastor, I suspect
he doesn't consciously think about whether his story has an
isolated point or illustrates a broader sweep of things.

On the other hand, I would not be tempted to find an analog for
every element of his story in the concept or set of principles
that he's trying to illustrate.

James H. Vellenga |
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-480-0881
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-480-0882
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |