Re: Grammar question

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 1996 - 22:15:31 EDT

JohnBARACH@aol.com wrote:

> I'm working on an exegetical paper on Acts 19:11-20, and I've
discovered
> something which seems strange. Perhaps it's just my lack of
experience with
> Greek. . . .
>
> Normally, in the sequence of tenses, an aorist participle means that
the
> action described in the participle occurs before the action of the
main verb.
> In Acts 19:14, however, the aorist participle ("having answered")
seems to
> be contemporaneous with the main verb ("he said"). To translated it
> according to the usual sequence of tenses would result in something
like
> this: "But after he had answered, the demon said"--which doesn't make
sense.

> Is this an exception to the usual rules of tense sequence? I think
I've
> noticed it earlier in Acts, as well. Any tips? references to
standard
> grammars I've overlooked?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

        The cases of APOKRINOMAI as an aorist participle with verbs that
express speech should be treated as a case apart since this
construction probably takes its form from the Semitic background of the
Gospels (Moulton [i.e.
Turner] III:155-56).

--
David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education