Conditional sentences

From: A. Brent Hudson (
Date: Tue May 07 1996 - 13:21:11 EDT

Perhaps someone can clear this up for me. I have always followed Brooks &
Winbery's classification of conditional sentences; however, I have
encountered a difficulty and need some help. Smyth notes that a simple
condition (protasis=EI + pres. or pf. ind. / apodosis = pres. or pf. ind. or
equivalent) states a "supposition with no implication as to its reality or
probability." This is easy enough; however, I thought this "simple
condition" fell under the general rubric of a "first class" condition which
B&W defines as assuming the reality of the protatic condition. Smyth notes
that the condition may be real or impossible; it doesn't matter since the
point is the connection between protasis and apodosis rather than the
reality or unreality of the condition (2298b) The passage I am working on is
Jn 15:18. According to B&W this is a "first class condition." According to
Smyth, it is a "simple condition." My original concern was simply what
difference GINWSKETE as either indic. or imptv would make to the condition.
Now, I am just confused.

Simply put, Is Jn 15.18 a simple condition (thus real or unreal = contextual
) or first class condition (action assumed to be real)?

Any help would be appreciated.

 A. Brent Hudson
 Graduate Program in Religious Studies
 McMaster University,