EIS AFESIN hAMARTIWN

From: Carlton L. Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Thu May 23 1996 - 14:57:45 EDT

Seriously, I still advocate the reading of an old favorite The Expositor's
Greek Testament by W.R. Nicoll at Acts 2:38. I agree with him that this is
the preposition with the accusative used, as Nicoll puts it, to signify
aim. The early Christians would connect the forgiveness of sins with the
death and resurrection of Christ signified in baptism. This is in
disagreement with what Brooks and I put in the Syntax book, but I have had
occasion to read much further on this since then.
Now I have to read what Carl Conrad has to say.

Carlton Winbery
Fogleman Prof. Religion
Louisiana College
winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net