At last! -- LSJM, new supplement !

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 1996 - 12:15:10 EDT

>Friends of Greek persuasion,
>
>Personal note: It is just fifty years since my first copy of the brand-
>new, "New Edition" (9th, replacing the 8th of 1897), in two volumes,
>arrived in Chicago after the War (which had prevented arrival of more
>than a handful of copies since 1940 publication). How I lovingly
>fondled that giant book! My 8th edition had two sections bound in the
>wrong order, and at long last I was able to give that copy away!
>
>I see that I now have five copies of this Lexicon, each in a different
>office or study--the original two-volume, the one-volume, then the 1968
>Supplement by Barber, then a one-volume with Barber bound in, and finally
>this wonderful volume with Glare's Supplement bound in.
>
>Edward Hobbs

Edward, I only bought the new supplement, being a too parsimonious German
to purchase again that LSJ. I bought mine on March 19, 1951 for $15.00! I
actually prefer the two volume edition with separate suplement [provided I
have my large desktop clear], since I can then have all three volumes open
at different entries. As I did my classical degree I learned to use LSJ in
preference to the middle sized one all the time--though Philip H. DeLacy
warned me that the material on Hellenistic-Roman philosophy was weak. And I
certainly read a lot of that with him!

Did you do any checking to see if all the material that Barber has is
included in the Glare supplement? And did you compare the list of editions
used with the TLG CANON OF GREEK AUTHORS AND WORKS to see whehter they
agree about the best editions available?

Any thought of selling some of those redundant LSJs?

Edgar Krentz <emkrentz@mcs.com>
Prof. of New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street, Chicago, IL 60615
Off: 312-256-0752 H: 312-947-8105