Re: Greek-to-ASCII suggestions

From: David L. Moore (
Date: Mon Jul 29 1996 - 10:50:21 EDT

Rod Decker wrote:
> > I also notice that the Perseus site does give one the option of
> >entering queries in Beta Code (CCAT standard) which uses X for Chi and C
> >for Xi. The site also gives one the option of using a system that
> >includes digraphs or a greek font which they supply.
> >
> > I'm still wondering if, as a scholarly exercise, it is not
> >worthwhile to learn the Beta Code system, since one encounters it in so
> >many different places.
> Perhaps I missed earlier discussion (I just got back on line last week
> after a cross-country move), but the reference to "the Perseus site does
> give one the option of entering queries" is intriguing. Is there a www site
> that enables queries of Greek text? Any info would be appreciated.

        Yes, Perseus does. Their site includes a link to download the
Silver Mountain Software font SGreek, and queries can be entered in that
font by setting that as your fixed-width font and setting the perseus
display to "Greek." They have a considerable corpus available for search
- especially classical authors - although the Koine period is also
represented (Plutarch). Queries can be entered both for individual words
and for phrases.

        There are a couple of links to Perseus on my web site whose URL
appears below. Look under "Linguistic Resources" or something of the

David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education                     Southeastern Spanish District            of the Assemblies of God