Learning/Teaching Greek at Different Levels

From: DWILKINS@ucrac1.ucr.edu
Date: Tue Aug 20 1996 - 15:01:19 EDT

I do not have any resources to point you to but do (as usual) have an opinion.
I once attempted to teach a class in Greek basics for using interlinears,
lexicons etc. and had a bad experience with it. To put it briefly, the out-
come appeared to be that knowing a little Greek is more dangerous than knowing
none at all. On the other hand, one cannot adequately know what is going on
in the text just by reading translations. For that reason I'm forced to believe
that those who regularly preach from the pulpit need to know the original lan-
guages, whatever the sacrifice in time and money necessary. I also believe it
is the responsibility of teachers like myself to make the languages as accessi-
ble as possible, without sacrificing quality (now, if I could only convince
college/university/seminary administrators of that!).

Don Wilkins
UC Riverside