James 1:1a Translation Question

From: Albert Collver, III (Collver@msn.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 1996 - 15:27:06 EDT

Hello,
        I am reading James 1 right now. I have a translation question on the
following:

Iakwbos theos kai kuriou Ihsou Christou doulos

        The common translation is "James, a servant of God and the Lord Jesus Christ
..."

        What is the possibility of this translation?

        "James, a servant of Jesus Christ who is God and Lord ..."

        Please comment and give support for either position taken. Grammatically,
both seem to be acceptable. However, the first translation listed seems to be
the most common.

Thanks,
Albert B. Collver, III
4th Year Student at Concordia Seminary St. Louis, MO

Calendar Explorer - Church Year and Easter finder at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Collver_Home_Page/calendar.htm