re: parenetic

From: Marty Brownfield (
Date: Mon Sep 23 1996 - 00:30:08 EDT

> From: Mike Phillips <>, on 9/22/96 8:41 PM:
> In Gundry's commentary on Mark, he uses this word and I can't find it's
> meaning. I thought perhaps it might be a Greek derivative. Could someone
> me by defining what Webster's and Roget's have not? Perhaps it's a
> misspelling? Any clues welcomed.
> -------------
> Mike Phillips
I'm sure by the time this gets posted others will have answered as well, but
the word does in fact come from a Greek root (PARAINEW, "I advise"). The noun
form is parenesis (sometimes spelled paraenesis); the adjective is parenetic
(as in "chapters 12 and 13 form a parenetic section of Romans"). A paranesis is
a series of ethical admonitions that do not necessarily refer to concrete
situations (other chapters that are mostly paranesis include Col. 3-4, Eph 4-6,
various sections of James).

Apparently the term was popularized by Martin Dibelius in his studies on James.

Marty Brownfield or