Re: Acts 7:55

From: David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Sep 27 1996 - 11:12:20 EDT

Beta-user Rob Elkington wrote:

> Dear B-Greekers
>
> I am a lurker on the list - downloading your discussions and filing
> them for future reference when working on a passage. However, I need
> to come out of lurking for a moment to ask two questions:
>
> I am working on an MTh thesis on "The Doctrine of Subsequence in the
> Spirit Baptism Theology of the Pentecostal and Neo-Pentecostal
> Experience". I have worked through all of the OT data and am now on
> the Acts passages concerning Spirit filling.
>
> Question 1. Acts 7:55 uses plhrhs pneumatwn agiou to describe the
> Spirit filling of Stephen. Moulton lists this as an adjective. Is it
> correct to assume that this is a qualitative statement concerning
> Stephen? In most of the other instances of filling a verbal form is
> used.

        Yes, in the expression PLHRHS PNEUMATOS hAGIOU, the adjective
PLHRHS is expressing a quality of Stephen. A verb with simalar meaning
(is it cognate?) aso found in the book of Acts, PIMPLHMI, places the
emphasis on the *event* of filling with the Holy Spirit. Cf. for
instance Acts 2:4; 4:31 and 9:17.

--
David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education