Re: LOGOS in Classics (Plato) & John 1

From: David L. Moore (
Date: Wed Sep 25 1996 - 20:59:50 EDT

Albert Collver, III wrote:
> Hello,
> I am working on an assignment that deals with LOGOS in John 1. The assignment
> is to follow Logos before it was Christ's name; what is unique about LOGOS
> when it is Christ's name and what about LOGOS got Christ crucified.
> John 1:1 & John 1:14 are really the main NT texts for LOGOS. What I am
> needing assistance in is finding LOGOS before it was Christ's name. In some
> ways, it was Christ's name first (En arxh ... DaBaR -- Genesis 1). Any way...
> I am looking through Plato Phaedo and other works to find the Greek
> philosophical perspective on LOGOS. I would appreciate anyone with TLG access
> or knowledge of good sources in Classical Greek to point me in the right
> direction.

        You could find the word used extensively in a theological sense in Philo
of Alexandria, a contemporary of Christ and of Paul. His writings using LOGOS
as a theological concept probably antedate their use in that respect in the New

        You might also want to read the article on LOGOS in the _Theological
Dictionary of the New Testament_ (Also known as Kittel after its first editor).
 Others on the list may also have additional suggestions.

David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education                     Southeastern Spanish District            of the Assemblies of God