Re: Questions from Matthew's gospel and semitic languages

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net)
Date: Sun Oct 06 1996 - 15:55:58 EDT

>Dear Timothy:
>
>The H is a particle which when used in conjunction with Prin gives the
meaning of "before" It is a holdover of an Ionic idiom but it is very common
in the Koine. It is also used in Mk 14L30, and Acts 7:2. See the discussion
in Bauer Arndt and Gingrich (H, pg 342-343, 2d, alpha)

>Your second question shows that why there are italics in the English
Bibles. The English idiom has it that when we marry we "take someone _as_
a wife", where Greek does not have the same idiom. Or you could supply the
"be" verb which Greek often leaves out, rendering it "Stop being afraid to
take Mary _to be_ your wife."

>At 10:33 PM 10/5/96, you wrote:
>>Dear friends,
>>
>> My first question is from Matt.1:18c, . . . Prin H sunelqein
>>autous. . . . What is the purpose of the H in this passage? I use
>>to know, but know I am totally dumbfounded! It is as if the
>>sentence could be read without the H!
>>
>> Second, vs. 20 says ". . . Mh pobhqhs paralabein Mariam thn
>>gunaika sou." I translated this as "Do not be afraid to take Mary
>>(as) your wife." The only problem is the word 'as' is not in the
>>text! Does anyone suggest the insertion of 'as' to make sense of the
>>text? And if so, why doesn't the Greek test use the word 'ws'? This
>>would seem to be good enough in any case!
>>
>> My last question is does anyone know anything about whether or
>>not a cognate accusative is a phenomenon borrowed from semitic
>>languages? The verse in my mind is Matt. 2:10 ". . . exaphsan xaran.
>>. . ." The cognate accusative was indeed part of my training in
>>claasical Greek, but I have to admit it is a strange animal, and it
>>makes me wonder is such 'strangeness' due to English as my first
>>language or a semitism in Greek.
>>
>>Thanks to all
>>
>>Peace and Love,
>>
>>Timothy T. Dickens
>>Smyrna, GA
>>
>>MDick39708@gnn.com Home
>>ttd3@Columbia.edu School
>>
>>http://members.gnn.com/mdick39708/timspge.htm
>>
>>Philosophy means the study of wisdom, and by wisdom we understand not only
prudence in affairs, but also a perfect knowledge of all things which man
can know both for the conduct of his life and for the conservation of his
health and
>>the invention of all the arts."
>>
>>Rene Descartes, French Philosopher, scientist and mathematician,

Kevin W. Woodruff
Reference Librarian
Cierpke Memorial Library
Temple Baptist Seminary