prepositions with kai

From: T & J Peterson (spedrson@erols.com)
Date: Tue Oct 08 1996 - 15:49:49 EDT

I'm working on a study of John 3:5 and pursuing an investigation of the
grammatical structure in "ex hudotos kai pneumatos." I've read the
suggestion that the preposition followed by two anarthrous nouns, joined
with a kai, indicates a particular relationship (albeit without the
strength of the GS rule). I cannot, however, find anything substantially
defending that this construction does in fact show a grammatical tie
between the two nouns, and I don't have access to the software to search
for other examples. Any ideas?