RE: 'default' aorist

From: DWILKINS@ucrac1.ucr.edu
Date: Tue Oct 29 1996 - 18:01:19 EST

Forgive me if I am offering unsolicited advice, Albert. The perfect tense
represents the results of the action, rather than the action itself. It does
not mean that the action can never recur; in reality, all actions have results
and the choice between aorist and perfect is just a matter of looking at the
event vs. the results. In the case of Pilate's inscription, the permanancy
and immutability of the event comes from the context, not the grammar.

Don Wilkins
UC Riverside