3rd Aorist ??

From: BibAnsMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 28 1996 - 15:34:06 EST

I got a message from someone regarding a 3rd Aorist. Can someone explain
what this person is talking about??

<< You might pick up a copy of Smythe. Although it is very long, incredibly
boring, etc. it is very solid, and is referred to as a primary source by many
Greek teachers, including, I think, Blass, DeBrunner, Funk, etc. Anyway,
Frank Gignac, whose work is in Papyrology, and has another of those very
long, incredibly complex and boring works that are nonetheless rated very
highly, himself recommends it as one of the half-dozen texts which "anyone
should have who does any work beyond introductory Greek". Of course, he's
also the one who requires that we know and understand the 3rd aorist--even
though I've yet to find another grammar that calls it that. And I can't
explain the 3rd aorist to you, either. I've had it explained to me a few
times, and it always is a case of: "Now I understand it" And an hour later
it is GONE. The closest I can come to are "long vowel, athematic aorists"
 There is supposed to be a list of these verbs in Smythe, but if so, it is
not obvious to me where. Oh, well.... >>

Thanks,

Jim McGuire