Ancient grammarians

From: Rod Decker (
Date: Fri Nov 08 1996 - 08:46:20 EST

Our librarian just acquired (at my request): Basil G. Mandilaras, _The Verb
in the Greek Non-Literary Papyri_ (Athens: Hellenic Min. of Culture &
Sciences, 1973) [originally a PhD diss. at Oxford under D. M. Jones]. I've
only had a few minutes to skim the intro and contents (looks interesting!
Anyone read it or have any comments re. this vol.?), but noted this comment
in the Foreward (by C. A. Panaghiotakis):

"Plato, expressing himself in the person of Xenos in his 'Sophistes', had
defined 'verb' (RHMA) as the part of speech 'denoting action' (EPI TAIS
PRAXESIN ON DHLWMA)--while Aristotle, a little later in the same century,
in his 'Poetics', wrote that 'the verb is a composite sound denoting time'

 Rodney J. Decker, Asst. Prof./NT Baptist Bible Seminary Clarks Summit, PA