Re: BALLW

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@washdc.mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 1996 - 19:20:52 EST

At 05:22 11/13/96 -0500, AAPRBAB@aol.com wrote:
>Thank you for your response. I did find one use of the third plural
>imperfect in Mark 12:31, but the fact that it is well attested in extra
>Biblical literature makes my arguement more valid.
>
>I looked at BAGD again and it lists a future, 2nd aorist, a distinct aorist
>3rd pl., a perfect, future passive, 1st aorist, perfect passive and a
>pluperfect form.
>
>Why doesn't it list an imperfect form seeing as it is in the NT and is well
>attested? Am I expecting too much from BAGD?

Yes. I would expect BAGD to list the *irregular* forms of a verb. All
the forms cited for BALLW have only a single lambda, and some are in
replicated zero-grade, e.g. BEBLHKA. The imperfect to BALLW is regular.
Note: BAGD's policy is different from that of the Hebrew lexicon BDB,
which does list the attested forms.

Stephen

--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.