Re: evil desires/lust or lust

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Thu Nov 14 1996 - 08:11:13 EST

David L. Moore wrote:
> Among the papyri one finds reference to the practice under
>discussion. In one marriage contract from 92 B.C., written in Greek,
>keeping a boy (MHDE PALLAKHN MHDE PAIDIKON EXEIN, MHDE TEKNOPOIEISQAI EC
>ALLHS GUNAIKOS) is classed, along with concubinage and having children by
>another woman as a breaking of the marriage contract (_Select Papyri_, A. S.
>Hunt and C. C. Edgar, eds., [Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard, 1932] vol. 1, 2:19,
>20).

(Thank you David, for bringing us back to Greek. ;-)

A useful reference here, again, is Dover (pp15-17) where he discusses the
use of <paidika> in the sense of "eromenos", i.e. as "youth/lover" (i.e. as
distinct from "boy/child") in these contexts.

> The New Testament, of course, taking pointers from the Old Testament
>in its attitude toward aberrant sexual behavior, treats the practice of
>homosexuality as sin.

True (certainly, pace Bernadette Brooten, male homosexuality), but I think
the topic under discussion was how did the Greeks viewed such things.

Nichael
nichael@sover.net -- deep autumn my neighbor, what does she do
http://www.sover.net/~nichael/ -- Basho