Re: Priority of LXX for NT meaning

From: rjd (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 16 1996 - 06:40:58 EST

FRED HALTOM asked:

>The discussion about semantic domains has raised a question in my mind
>that's been lurking there for some time. Does anyone know of any
>comparative research on the influence of the LXX on NT word meaning?
>Should it have priority over classical usus loquendi. For example,

BAGD, Intro., 2d ed., p. xxi, "As for the influence of the LXX, every
page of this lexicon shows that it outweighs all other influence on our
literature."

For specific studies, you might start with: Moises Silva, _Biblical Words
and Their Meanings: An Introduction to Lexical Semantics_ (Zondervan,
1983; 2d ed., 1994). Part 1, ch. 2 is titled: "Semantic Change and the
Role of the LXX."

Rod

 Rodney J. Decker, Asst. Prof./NT Baptist Bible Seminary
 rdecker@bbc.edu Clarks Summit, PA