Re: Luke 2:14: en uyistois qew, en anqrwpois eudokias

From: James H. Vellenga (
Date: Tue Nov 19 1996 - 11:56:50 EST

In this verse, it is also possible to see EN hUYISTOIS as being in
contrast to EPI GHS, hence

  Glory in highest [places] to God, and on earth peace among
  people of EUDOKIAS.

In addition, my preferred interpretation of EUDOKIA is something
like "kindly purpose," so I get "among people of kindly purpose"
(going with the genitive reading). Clearly, the kindly purpose
could be either God's or that of the people themselves, but I
think that having it be that of the people is a more natural

James H. Vellenga |
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-303-5491
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-460-8213
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |

"We all work with partial information."