Re: Revelation 14:6 (The Everlasting Gospel)

From: David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Nov 25 1996 - 20:56:05 EST

At 11:58 PM 11/25/96 +0000, Maurice A. O'Sullivan wrote:
>In "The Exegetical Dictionary of the N.T" ed. Balz, Schneider, at II, 74,
>G. Strecker holds that " the only occurrence of the noun in Revelation (14:6),
>is, like the use of the verb (10:7), to be attributed to the final redactor
>of Revelation on the basis of language and composition."
>Hence, the writer holds, the passage is not an appropriate starting point
>for the reconstruction of the earliest Christian tradition history. In
>addition, the content of the passage is widely separated from the early
>Christain apocalyptic tradition.

        That only in Rev. 14:6 and in 10:7 we have EUAGGELION or its cognate
verb in all of the Johanine corpus does not necessarily mean that these
passages must be by the hand of a later redactor. Among commentators that I
consulted, none make the distinction which Strecker holds for this verse.
At least one commentator has suggested that the reference is to a special
angelic message at the eschatological consumation when there will be a great
ingathering of the gentiles (J. Jeremias, _Jesus' Promise to the Nations_,
p. 22, as cited in G. E. Ladd, _Revelation of John_, p. 193; and C. K.
Barrett, "The Gentile Mission as an Eschatological Phenomenon," in
_Eschatology of the NT_, W. H. Gloer, ed., p. 67). If that were so - it
doesn't seem particularly likely, IMO, - it could account for the use here
of a word that the Johanine material does not use in other places for the
preaching of the Gospel. And there could be other possible explanations for
the Johanine use of these otherwise uncharacteristic words.

David L. Moore Director
Miami, Florida, USA Department of Education
dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com Southeastern Spanish District
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore of the Assemblies of God