Re: Luke 2:14 EUDOKIAS and the Dead Sea Scrolls

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 26 1996 - 05:44:53 EST

Cal Redmond addressed this to me; I think he meant it for the list as well
(my apologies if I misinterpreted); it is certainly of general interest
with regard to the question raised yeserday about Luke 2:14 by Jonathan
Robie yesterday regarding parallels in the Dead Sea Scrolls and Greek texts
among the Dead Sea Scrolls.

>Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 19:25:57 -0500
>From: Cal Redmond <calred@ix.netcom.com>
>To: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
>Subject: Re: Luke 2:14 EUDOKIAS and the Dead Sea Scrolls
>Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>> >You generally cannot, aside from a few fragments from Cave 7, because
>
>> >they were written Hebrew.
>
>Just a quick note: while there were a few tiny fragments in Greek from
>Cave 7, there were also substantial Greek texts, including some of the
>prophets, as well as some paraphrases found in Cave 4. For some
>reason, the presence of these Greek MSS is not well known. I have
>viewed photocopies of these MSS in the "official" series. They are
>interesting! And some of these have been used in attempting to resolve
>textual problems in the LXX.
>
>Of course, when I was touring Israel on a 10-day fly-by last year, our
>guide told us that there couldn't have been any LXX MSS at Qumran,
>because the LXX wasn't written until the second century CE/AD.
>
>Cal Redmond
>Ph.D. Candidate, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
>Missionary Appointee, Cameroon Baptist Theologial Seminary
>calred@ix.netcom.com
>http://www.GeoCities.com/Athens/4025/index.html

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018