Re: Article-Article-Noun-Noun

From: M. Palmer (mtp9675@gibbs.oit.unc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 16 1996 - 16:52:52 EST

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Carl W. Conrad wrote regarding the Genitive Absolute:

> [SNIP] . . . it always involves a subject--noun or
> pronoun--in the genitive and a predicate which is usually a participle (but
> may be a predicate noun or adjective linked to the subject with an implicit
> participle of EIMI), and it is grammatically independent of the other
> structures in the sentence, although it could be said to function like an
> adverbial clause governing the main predicate.

Carl has raised an interesting point in his parenthetical statement. Do
any of you know of any good examples IN THE NEW TESTAMENT of a genitive
absolute construction with a predicate noun or adjective instead of the
participle? I can't think of any clear examples in the New Testament (but
maybe my memory is just failing me here).

M. Palmer