Re: How to memorize verb forms...

From: Somi Chuhon (kittycat@uniserve.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 1996 - 23:07:19 EST

At 11:57 PM 15/12/96 -0800, you wrote:

>>2) There are many forms that do not appear in the chart because they
>>are not in the NT. I somehow feel obligated to know which ones these
>>are.
>>
>Why? If you want to write Greek comic strips (like I am toying with now),
>okay, you need the words and accents. But if you are like most and don't
>have the tim even for Biblical Greek, these forms are not significant. At
>least, that's what I think.

I totally agree with Bill here. If you are learning NT Greek, then learn
the NT greek verbs. If you are learning Greek in general or classical
Greek, then go for outside stuff...but don't call it Biblical Greek.
There's only one place to find "biblical Greek" and that's in the text!
Perhaps the concern to know other verb forms are due to a need to look
outside of the text in order to inform the text of its interpretation (I'm
taking a wild guess here). Frankly, [personal opinion], you don't really
need "outside" Greek to know that the text is saying "inside."

Somi.