Re: [ APO/ EK ] TWN NEKRWN

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@alex1.linknet.net)
Date: Fri Jan 03 1997 - 00:15:16 EST

Carl Conrad wrote;
>I see that nobody else has responded to this, so let me offer a weak
>comment: I think this apparently undifferentiated usage of APO and EK
>exemplified in these texts is probably parallel to the undifferentiated
>usage of EIS + acc. and EN + (presumably locative rather than
>instrumental--this seems to be altogether diferent from the use of EN in an
>instrumental sense with PNEUMATI with BAPTIZEIN) dat. (and occasionally EPI
>+ dat.?) with PISTEUEIN and ONOMA, which is to say: it appears that EK and
>EIS, at least used with certain verbs, are no longer clearly distinguished
>from APO and EN--it is simply a matter of referential direction toward or
>away from that is indicated by these prepositions rather than direction
>INTO or OUT-OF. Does this make sense? If it does, it's probably already in
>the grammars somewhere; I don't have any grammars ready to hand as I write
>at home.
>
>At 7:01 PM -0600 1/1/97, Wes Williams wrote:
>>Someone asked a question recently about why some verses regarding Jesus raised
>>from the dead read APO and others EK. I would like to believe that the
>>difference in usage by the same author lies beyond style variance, but perhaps
>>not(?). I see how the APO is used in quotations, but it appears that this is
>>also true with EK. Perhaps someone else has some ideas?
>>
>>For example with APO:
>>Matthew 14:2 KAI EIPEN TOIS PAISIN AUTOU, ... AUTOS HGERQH APO TWN NEKRWN
>>Matthew 27:64 KAI EIPWSIN TWi LAWi, HYERQH APO TWN NEKRWN,
>>Matthew 28:7 AIPATE TOIS MAQHTAIS AUTO hOTI HGERQH APO TWN NEKRWN,
>>Luke 16:30 hO DE EIPEN, OUXI, PATER ABRAAM, ALL EAN TIS APO NEKRWN ...
>>
>>with EK:
>>Matthew 17:9 hEWS OU hO hUIOS TOU ANQRWPOU EK NEKRWN EGERQH
>>Luke 16:31 EIPEN DE AUTWi, ... OUD EAN TIS EK NEKRWN ANASTHi PEISQHSONTAI
>>Luke 24:46 KAI EIPEN AUTOIS hOTI ... CRISTON KAI ANASTHNAI EK NEKRWN TH TRITH
>>hHMERA

In the NT I see a lot more difference between EIS with acc. and EN with the
locative than I do between APO and EK with the ablative (genitive).

The only possible difference I see in the NT between APO and EK is that I
cannot find an eg. of APO used to indicate impersonal means as EK clearly
does in James 2:18, "I will show you my faith by my works." All other
functions of the two with the ablative seem to me to be a matter of style
with no substantive difference. This would be especially true when both
are used to show separation as in the instances cited above or personal
agency as in James 1:13 "tempted by God" and I John 5:1 "begotten by God."

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net