Translation needed-Revelation 5.9

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Sun Jan 26 1997 - 05:11:14 EST

James R. Armstrong wrote;

find either Greek word in UBS

Rev 5:9 And they sang^ a new song, saying, "Worthy art Thou to take the
book, and to break its seals; for Thou wast slain, and didst purchase for
God with Thy blood """men""" from every tribe and tongue and people and
nation.<<<<<<<<

I read this in the archives and am aware of the two answers to it. I am
temporarily off the list so my mail server won't be overwhelmed.

The statement, "The Translations differ on whether it is ""men"" or ""us"".
I could not find either Greek word in UBS," overlooks the fact that there
is a variation in the mss. A rather large number of mss have hHMAS either
in place of TWi QEWi or in addition. The primary witnesses for the text as
is in the UBS are Alexandrinus (good in Revelation) and the Ethiopic.
Vertually all the other witnesses have hHMAS with or without TWiQEWi. With
both TWiQEWi and hHMAS should be translated "for he was slain and redeemed
us for God by his own body from every . . ."

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net