(no subject)

From: Bill and Ginger Dickson (caregrp@ballistic.com)
Date: Sat Feb 15 1997 - 23:26:19 EST

>When I started NT Greek, Wenham was the text used in our class.
>While there a number of good features about this book, for another view of
>the exercises can I quote from an assesement by Prof. Morrison. posted to
>the Greek/Latin section of the Foreign Languages forum on CompuServe:
>(Cambridge University Press, 1965), 268 pages. Based on the
>earlier work of H.P.V. Nunn. Uses Nom./Acc./Gen./Dat. order of
>cases; omits nearly all accents. The pace is leisurely.
>Explanations are generally complete and correct. Exercises are
>mostly invented and artificial, and some are nearly
>incomprehensible. "
>Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]

Wenham's omission of the accents is in my opinion one of its strengths.
Why burden the beginning Greek student with a complex anachronism? And I
suspect Prof. Morrison exaggerates concerning the incomprehensibility of
the exercises. I just finished working through the grammar with my
students, I don't recall a single exercise which was incomprehensible. And
a considerable number of the Greek sentences to be translated by the
students come directly from the NT.

The Rev. Dr. R. William Dickson
Chaplain of All Saints Episcopal School
Tyler, TX