Re: Coming up for air "the third time" (was AGAPAW in John 21)

From: Eric Weiss (
Date: Mon Feb 17 1997 - 11:51:14 EST

Carl W. Conrad ( wrote
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 08:27:12 -0600

> I fail to see any significant difference between the verbs
> POIMAINW and BOSKW, and although PROBATA and ARNIA aren't
> exactly the same, is the difference really
> quite so significant?

We just added the verb RA(AH to our vocabulary words in Hebrew this week
- it means "he pastured, tended." Abbott-Smith says RA(AH was translated
by both POIMANW and BOSKW in the LXX. So maybe the reason John/Jesus
switched words here was because both Greek terms were expressed by a
single Hebrew (Aramaic, too?) word. Abbott-Smith says AGAPAW and PHILEW
in the LXX also both translate the Hebrew )HAB, though PHILEW at times
was translated by other Hebrew words.

"Eric S. Weiss"