Re: Mk 1.2, Mt 27.9 and higher criticism

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 16:12:40 EST

At 5:05 PM +0000 2/20/97, Brian E. Wilson wrote:

>reflect, and so on, then you are a higher critic. If higher criticism
>has no place on this list, then nor have your comments above!

Who, may I ask, said higher criticism had no place on the list? As far as
I'm concerned, if the higher criticism *deals directly with the Greek text*
of the New Testament (or Septuagint), then it is welcomed here.

The important thing is to stay focussed on the Greek text. When the
comments stray too far from that, we begin to loose sight of the purpose of
the list (at least as I understand it). But as long as they stay closely
engaged with the Greek text itself it doesn't matter to me whether they
represent "higher" or "lower" criticism. I would hope that we are all
willing to learn from one another without banning anybody's favorite
methods of analysis.

Micheal W. Palmer
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College