From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Sun Feb 23 1997 - 15:53:54 EST

At 2:18 PM -0600 2/23/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 08:22 AM 2/23/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>>This is the whole matter of Pauline psychology which I have found most
>>admirably expounded in a section entitled "Pauline Anthropology" of Rudolf
>>Bultmann's old-but-still-very-good _New Testament Theology_. He says that
>>hO ESW ANQRWPOS is equivalent to the PNEUMA of a person--the knowing,
>>deciding, determining subjective part of selfhood which one might well call
>>the "I" in distinction from the SWMA which is the external self or
>>objective self--the "me" of selfhood which one's "I" may contemplate (and
>>discern going its own way contrary to the will of the PNEUMA) and which is
>>discernible by other persons. When the SWMA is alienated from the PNEUMA as
>>a consequence of sin, Paul refers to is at SARX or SWMA THS hAMARTIAS or
>>the like.
>Interesting! But I'm still not clear on this with respect to this passage.
>>At 5:58 AM -0600 2/23/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>>Roma 7:22 (GNT) sunhdomai gar tw nomw tou qeou kata ton esw anqrwpon
>OK, actually Paul wrote that...sometimes my mailer gives me too much
>credit ;->
>>>In this passage, Paul talks about hH OIKOUSA EN EMOI hAMARTIA in contrast to
>>>TON ESW ANQRWPON, and seems to be treating them as two different "persons"
>>>within him.
>>>Is it fair to say that KATA means "in accordance with" here, so that there
>>>is an EGW here which is separate from TON ESW ANQRWPON, and which chooses
>>>between them?
>If KATA were used the same way that it is used in Luke 2:22 hOTE EPLHSQHSAN
>translate "I agree with the law of God, in accordance with my inner man",
>and the inner man would be distinct from the EGW who agrees.
>If KATA were used in the same way as it is in Romans 1:3 TOU GENOMENOU EK
>SPERMATOS DAVID KATA SARKA, then I would translate "I agree with the law of
>God in my inner man", and the EGW would be the same as the inner man.
>Is there a linguistic reason to prefer one interpretation over the other?

I think so:the KATA in the Rom 7 passage is clarifying an acc. of
specification (actually it is doing that in Lk 2:22 also, but there it is
indicating the basis or criterion by which the number of days is
calculated. In 1:3 the assertion is that Jesus is descended from David in
terms of physical descent.

My own view is that KATA TON ESW ANQRWPON means KATA TO PNEUMA MOU: within
the evaluating understanding wishing self, there is consent to the Law's

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018 OR