Re: Greek pronunciation

Date: Fri Feb 28 1997 - 20:40:45 EST

 Not wanting to beat a horse to death, but I took someone's advice (I
 forget which kind soul suggested it), and took a look at the article by
 Chrys Caragounis in *Filologia Neotestamentaria* ("The Error of Erasmus
 and Un-Greek Pronunciations of Greek," Vol. 8, Nov 1995), and I must say
 I was very impressed by the depth of this piece.>>

That would be me, and I was wondering who would look it up.
<< I think that this is a "must read" for anyone wishing to pursue this
 particular thread any further. Part of this work makes a very
 interesting (and cutting) critique of Allen's *Vox Graeca* (the text
 usually put forward to defend Erasmian pronunciation), noting some
 deficiencies in that work which need to be considered. I'm not sure I
 agree with everything he has to say, and there are spots where I'm not
 entirely convinced by his logic (even though I think he has a good
 point), but on the whole I recommend this as a very serious piece of
 scholarship for anyone interested in this topic... it's certainly got me
 thinking, and I was previously quite content with the Erasmian system!

As was I. Perhaps this is the kind of research needed to make true headway
towards a more precise guide to pronouncing Ancient Greek. We'll see....