Rev 12:17

From: Carlton Winbery (
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 10:07:57 EST

Greg Carey wrote;

>I'd love to see the source of the forsaking theory for LOIPWN. On the surface
>of it, I can't see what possible warrant would counter the traditional
>translation ("remnant" or somesuch).

>1. How would LOIPWN (as "those who forsook") relate to the other genitives in
>the string?

>2. What would it mean to "farsake the woman's offspring" (read as Christians)?
>I can't imagine a parallel motif in the Apocalypse--no one is abandoning
audience, only threatening them.

>3. Why would the dragon attack people who are actually helping him out? If
>he's mad at the woman, that would be a waste of time.

I would add further that the rest of the verse speaks against that
interpretation of the adjective LOIPWN. The TWN LOIPWN are further
identified as "those who keep the commandments of God and hold the witness
of Jesus." This cannot be "those who have forsaken her offspring."

Grace & Peace,

Carlton L. Winbery 114 Beall St. Pineville, LA 71360 Fax (318) 442-4996 e-mail Phone 318 487-7241 Home 448-6103