RE: What constitutes "bantering"?

From: Marotta, David 2-3718 (djm5g@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 19 1997 - 11:34:52 EST

No applogies necessary. I am of the opinion that staff perform their
functions
as staff under a different set of guidelines from subscribers. For
example,
at times staff need to say, "Be quiet and stop talking about this
topic."
We try to do it nicely, but whereas we may be required to say it, list
members
are not permitted to say such a thing to other list members. This is
like
the police asking nice law-abiding citizens to help break it up and move
along before a situation turns ugly. This appropriate, and good
citizens
aid the police by moving along.

The use of excessive force by police is always debated, but the
requirement
that the police do need to use force is not. In policing the list I
will be a good
police commissioner, trying to enlist fair minded people (like you Carl)
and
then trust their judgement.

I have never seen you beat people for the fun of it. <smile> You seem
hurt more than they do at times when reprimanding. <smile again.> That
has a good side to it.