Re: John 1:1

From: Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church (pauld@iclnet.org)
Date: Wed Mar 26 1997 - 02:00:11 EST

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 Codesix4@aol.com wrote:

> In my first post on this I incorrectly inserted (o theos) the translation I
> gave should be:
> "In beginning was the word and the word was towards YHWH (ton theon) and
> Elohim (theos) was the word."
> Robert J. Petry, C.L.

Robert:

Your translation is incorrect. It cannot be rendered thus. When two
nouns are related in such a way that one is the predicate nominative of
the other and one is articular and the other anarthrous, then the
articular noun has to be the subject. The anarthrous noun is never (to my
knowledge) the subjecet.

Thus, Jn 1:1c should be, "and the Word was God (or deity)," not as you
have it.

Paul Dixon