Re: PANTES GAR hHMARTON

From: Edgar Krentz (ekrentz@lstc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 01 1997 - 10:17:10 EST

The discussion of hHMARTON in Rom 3:23 is interesting; but even more
fascinating is the apparently strange construction in which Paul puts what
one things should be his major idea in the sentence into a partiiple in
3:24, DIKAIOUMENOI, without any particle or conjunction to indicate its
logical adversative sense to the concept of sinning.

That is one of the reasons that many (I include myself here) hold that Paul
is citing--and modifying--a statement of faith formed earlier by a
Jewish-Christian group. [There are other strange linguistic features invv.
24-26 that support this suggestion.]

I realize that b-greek is not really forum to discuss form-critical
analyses of Paul; but in this case the stylistic feature justifies the
note.

Edgar Krentz, New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 EAST 55TH STREET